Yaya Toure handed 18-month driving ban sentence for drunk driving

Manchester City and Ivory Coast
player, Yaya Toure has been
handed an 18-month driving ban
and a £54,000 fine after he was
caught driving under the influence.
His blood alcohol level was more
than twice the legal limit.
Appearing at Barkingside
Magistrates' Court, the player did
not contest the charge but insisted
he wanted to make the judge aware
any alcohol consumption was
unintentional.
The 33-year-old said he was at a
party with friends and was drinking
Diet Coke from a jug, which he later
found out had brandy in it.
However a judge said it was
'inconceivable' he did not know he
was drinking and banned him from
driving for 18 months and fined him
£54,000.
He was pulled over at 11.15pm
after police thought he was
exceeding the 30mph speed limit in
his £80,000 Audi RS6. Toure told the
court he felt tired but did not know
he was drunk.

Judge Gary Lucie said:
'You say you were at a party and
thought you were drinking Diet
Coke but you accepted it tasted
different to how it usually does. In
fact you were drinking brandy and
coke.
'It appears to me that whilst you
may not have knowingly
consumed alcohol it should have
been clear to you that you were in
fact drinking alcohol at some
point before you took the decision
to drive.
'The reading is a high one and it is
inconceivable that you were
unaware of having consumed
alcohol. You were right, in my
view, not to pursue any argument
with regard to special reasons.'
Along with the £54,000 fine, District
Judge Lucie also ordered Toure to
pay a victim surcharge of £170 and
costs of £85.

He said:
'I give you full credit for pleading
guilty - the fine would have been
£81,000 but is reduced by a full
one third to £54,000, a statutory
surcharge of £170 and costs of
£85.
Toure who is a devout Muslim
released a statement explaining his
side of the story given that he does
not drink alcohol because of his
faith.
'Over the last two weeks there has
been some confusion as to why I
was charged with drink driving, as
it is well known that I am a
Muslim and do not drink. 'I have
always refused alcohol. Anyone
who knows me or follows football
will have seen me refuse
champagne for Man of the Match
performances because of my
commitment to my religion.
'The matter has now been
resolved in court on Monday. As I
was above the permitted limit
when tested on the night, I
decided not to challenge the
charge. However, it was important
to me that I told the court that I
had not intentionally consumed
alcohol. The judge in his
sentencing remarks accepted that
I had not been intentionally
drinking.
'Drink driving is a serious crime
and even though I was not
intentionally consuming alcohol I
accept the ban and fine and I
would like to apologise for this
situation. I would also like to
thank my family, the management
and staff at Manchester City, my
legal team and the fans for the
support they have given me
during this difficult time.'


Tweet @Am_Lastborn (07060428346)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dangote moves from 76th to 43rd richest man in the world..*shai*